Get a Head Start on a Beautiful Smile
As a parent in Mechanicsburg, you want the best for your child. That includes healthy teeth and a pleasing smile.
Dr. Fred Alba and Dr. Jeff Alba will treat your children like our own by giving them the best possible orthodontic care.
Kids Should Get an Orthodontic Check-Up By 7
The American Association of Orthodontists and the Drs. Alba recommend that children first visit an orthodontist around age seven.
By seven years old, your child's teeth have developed enough for subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth to still be spotted while some baby teeth are still present.
At this time, Drs. Alba can identify any growth issues and make plans to address them or monitor them over the next months or years.
Your child’s first check-up may reveal that your child's bite is fine, and braces for kids aren't necessary.
In other cases, Dr. Alba might find a problem that can benefit from early treatment.
Catching problems early means that treatment can be started at a time that provides the best result in the least amount of time.
This can positively affect the cost of treatment as well; early treatment can avoid tooth extractions and growth issues that might require a more complex solution later.
If Dr. Alba finds that it's in your child's best interest to wait for treatment, they will be placed in our Kid's Club program, where we provide no cost monitoring visits until they're ready.
You can feel confident that Dr. Alba will do what's best for your child, and the treatment prescribed will always honor the trust that you've placed in him and the team at Alba Orthodontics.
What Is Early Treatment?
Early treatment may prevent or intercept more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
In some cases, Drs. Alba can achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
Choosing the Best Time for Treatment
While the age that kids get braces may vary, orthodontic treatment most often begins between ages 9 and 14. Some orthodontic problems are easier to correct if they’re treated early.
If Drs. Alba think your child will need treatment, they’ll let you know when it will be best to begin treatment. This gives your orthodontist the best chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance and self-esteem in your child
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Create a more pleasing arrangement of teeth, lips and face
Signs the Bite's Not Right
It's not always easy to tell when your child may need braces or has an orthodontic problem. Even teeth that look straight may be hiding a problem bite.
Here are some clues that may indicate the need for orthodontic attention:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Breathing through the mouth
- Crowded, misplaced or blocked-out teeth
- Jaws that are too far forward or back
- Biting the cheek or biting into the roof of the mouth
- Protruding teeth
- Upper and lower teeth that don't meet, or meet in an abnormal way
- An unbalanced facial appearance
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
Smile Rewards Card
When patients join our kid’s club, they get a Smile Rewards Card! They can rack up points to redeem really cool prizes!
Here are some things you can do to earn points:
- Be on time for your scheduled appointment
- Brush your teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day
- Visit your dentist twice a year for a check-up and cleaning, and bring us a certificate signed by your dentist or hygienist (go to our Smile Rewards page to learn more, and download the certificate!)
- Refer your friends and family to Dr. Alba for an examination
- Like us on Facebook or follow us on Instagram!
- Schedule Your Next Visit with Dr. Alba
Both Drs. Alba are firm believers that every patient should receive the quality treatment they deserve. When you come to our practice, you’re part of the Alba family.
Learn More at Your Free Consultation
If your child has a dental issue, please contact us by setting up a free consultation at our Mechanicsburg office.
We can talk about your child's orthodontic options and develop a treatment plan customized to your child's needs.